Letter of Permission Application Documents

Once you have submitted your application through the Applicants' Area, there are various supporting documents that will need to be submitted to support your application. For your convenience, this list is provided to assist you and your prospective employer with assembling a complete application. Original transcripts are required. Photocopies are acceptable for all other documents.

You will notice that some of the documents need to be notarized. A notarized copy is a photocopy of a document on which a notary public or lawyer states in writing that it is "a true copy of the original,” signs the copy, and includes an official stamp or seal. Anyone who holds current, valid certification with the BC Ministry of Education can also notarize your documents. On the photocopy, he or she must include his or her full name, certificate number and signature.

Application for a Letter of Permission (LOP)

You must complete all sections of the LOP application form, available in the Applicants' Area. Please pay particular attention to the Academic Qualifications section by making sure you list all of your post-secondary institutions and awards. We will only accept the application if you answer all of the Personal Information questions and if you name and date the Declaration of Professional Commitment.

Consent to a Criminal Record Check

Consent to a Criminal Record Check is included in the application form. We will forward your information to the Criminal Records Review Program of the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General and, in turn, they will return the results directly to us. Once you become certified, you will need to undergo a criminal record check every five years.

Having a criminal record does not automatically make you ineligible for a certificate. However, you may be ineligible for a certificate if you make false statements or if you do not tell us about a criminal record. If necessary, we may ask you to complete an additional criminal record check so we can review all the details related to your offence.

Criminal record check results are confidential. We cannot accept previous criminal record checks you have completed, and we cannot provide you with a copy of the results of this criminal record check.

Identification documents

We require legal identification for all names appearing on the documents you submit as part of your application. We will only use your legal name on your certificate. We will not issue you a certificate that includes names for which official documentation does not exist. We require one of the following as a primary identification document:

Birth certificate: We require a notarized copy of your birth certificate. If you were born in Canada and you do not have a birth certificate, you must obtain a replacement from the Vital Statistics department in the province where you were born. Send us a notarized copy of the replacement certificate.

Statutory declaration: If you were born outside of Canada and you do not have a birth certificate, you must have a notary public or lawyer prepare a statutory declaration in which you swear to the following:

  • your date of birth
  • your full name at birth
  • your birthplace
  • that you do not have a birth certificate.

You must attach a notarized copy of your passport, permanent residents card, or a Canadian citizenship card to the statutory declaration.

We also require the following, if they apply to you:

  • Marriage certificate: If you changed your surname as a result of marriage, you must include a notarized copy of your marriage certificate.

  • Divorce certificate: If you are divorced and cannot provide a marriage certificate as proof of a current or previous surname, you must send us a notarized copy of the divorce certificate.

  • Change of name certificate: If you changed your name for reasons other than marriage or divorce, you must send us a notarized copy of an official change of name certificate, permanent residents or Canadian citizenship card.

Confidential Character Reference for Authorization to Teach in British Columbia forms

Your application must include two character reference forms. You will need to complete and submit page 1 of the form. You will also need to ask two people acting as your references (your referees) who have known you for at least two years to complete page 2 and submit the forms directly to us. Your referees do not need to have observed you in any teaching capacity. However, we will not accept forms completed by referees that are too closely related to you, such as relatives, partners, spouses or equivalents. We do not accept letters of recommendation as a substitute for the character reference form. Your referees can email the forms to us at trb.certification@gov.bc.ca.

Official transcripts of all other post-secondary studies

We must receive official transcripts from all of the post-secondary institutions that you have attended. Transcripts may be omitted if submitted with a previous LOP application. We require transcripts for:

  • all coursework for your degree(s) including courses transferred from any exchange programs.
  • all transferred courses, including Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate programs
  • courses that were required for admission to your teacher education program
  • Collège d'enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP)
  • all trades training institutions that you have attended (BCIT, VCC, TRU)

Transcripts should list each course you took at that institution, along with:

  • the dates of enrolment
  • the grades you received
  • the credit granted (or number of lecture hours completed) for each course.

Trades Qualification Verification

You must send a notarized copy of your trades qualification (Red Seal, Certificate of Qualification, Journeyman Certificate, etc.). You can also ask the awarding institution (BCITA, Ontario College of Trades, etc.) to send us a letter stating the qualification and the date they awarded it to you.

Application fee

You will be required to pay a $200 non-refundable application fee to begin the application process. You will be directed to pay electronically with a credit card when submitting your application. We cannot receive your application or create a file for you until the application fee is paid.

Documents Submitted by your Prospective Employer

Employer Form

You should complete the top section of the Letter of Permission – Employer Form then provide it to your prospective employer. Your prospective employer should complete the remainder of the form and submit it directly to the Teacher Regulation Branch. When the form is submitted, the following documents should also be sent:

Internal and External Postings

Employers must make every effort to seek a certified teacher to fill the position. The employer must include with the Employer Form all postings as evidence that there has been an extensive search for a qualified individual. Letters of Permission are appropriate only where a qualified certified candidate cannot be found. The position posting should be advertised for a minimum of two weeks with both an internal source (such as the school bulletin or school authority website) and an external source (such as local newspapers or the Education Canada or Apply to Education websites).

In cases where a secondary school position involves teaching in more than one subject area, the employer must post the subject assignments separately. This provides greater access to certificate holders. Separate postings for each subject may result in finding a qualified teacher for at least a portion of the position, thus requiring a Letter of Permission for a smaller assignment.

Rationale for not hiring a certified teacher

In cases where a certified teacher has applied for the position, the employer must provide to the Teacher Regulation Branch a comprehensive rationale for not assigning the teacher to the position.

Download the applications and forms for certification:

  • Application for a teaching certificate: Apply Here