Fee Information for Graduates from outside Canada

The information in this section applies to you if you have completed a teacher education program outside of Canada.

Non-refundable application fee

You will be required to pay a $395 non-refundable application fee to begin the application process. You will be directed to pay electronically with a credit card when submitting your application through the Applicants' Area. We cannot receive your application or create a file for you until the application fee is paid.

Annual fee

You must also pay an annual practice fee to receive your certificate. Once you are eligible for certification, you will be notified through email and directed to the Applicants' Area to pay your annual practice fee. For the first year that you are a certified teacher, you pay a pro-rated fee based on when you become a certified teacher. We will not issue your certificate until you have paid this fee.

Certificates issued June 1 - November 30


Certificates issued December 1 - March 31


Certificates issued April 1 - May 31


* Includes $40 pro-rated fee for the remainder of the current school year plus the full $80 annual fee for the following school year.

Once you are a certified teacher, you will need to ensure your annual practice fee is paid by May 31 each year to maintain a valid certificate. Please note that school boards and independent school authorities are required to deduct the annual fee from the pay of the certificate holders they employ. If you are not employed by a school board or independent school authority, you must pay the annual fee to keep your certificate valid.

Other fees

You may need to pay other fees to complete your application. These may include the cost to translate documents and the cost of a language proficiency test.

If some of your documents are in languages other than English or French, you will need to have them translated according to our Translation Policy. Translation costs may be quite high, depending on the hourly rate of the translator you hire and the length of the documents.

You will also need to pay for a language proficiency test if you completed any post-secondary studies in a country where the only official language is not English or French. The cost for these tests depends on the provider (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS) you select.

There are currently no related forms.