Translation Policy

Your application will include many original documents (such as transcripts and Statements of Professional Standing) that must be sent directly to the Teacher Regulation Branch from institutions or individuals.

These documents must be in English, French or the official language of the institution. For example, an academic transcript from a Russian university must be in English, French or Russian.

Please ensure that your name is in alphabetized form so that we can match the documents to your file. When we receive these documents, we will keep the original and send you a copy. You must arrange to have the documents translated and returned to us.

We will only accept translations from one of the following sources:

  • an associate or certified member of the Society of Translators and Interpreters of BC (phone 604-684-2940 for more information or go to
  • a translator licensed through a federal or provincial government in Canada (phone 613-562-0379 for more information)
  • a document translation service pre-approved by the Branch
  • the consulate, high commission or embassy in Canada of the country that issued the documents
  • a Canadian embassy, consulate or high commission in the country from which you emigrated.

Guidelines for Translations

All translations must be accompanied by a statement from the translator that states all of the following:

  • that the translation is accurate and authentic
  • that the translator is one of the accepted sources listed above (the translator should include his or her identification number and/or seal, name, address and telephone number)
  • the full name (in uppercase letters) and signature of the translator.