Overview of the Application Process for an Independent School Teacher Certificate
The information in this section applies to you if you have not completed a teacher
How to apply for an Independent School Teaching Certificate through the Teacher
- Download and review the
Application Package for an Independent School Teaching Certificate. This package
- information about the Ministry of Education and the application process
- the application form (called the Application for an Independent School Teaching
- the Consent to a Criminal Record Check form
- two Confidential Character Reference forms
- a list of all the documents we need as part of your application (these are described
in full in the application information
- a list of the fees you must pay
- a copy of The Standards for the Education, Competence and Professional Conduct
of Educators in British Columbia.
- Print and complete the application form and the Consent to a Criminal Record Check
form, which are included within the
Application Package. Mail us these two forms and the application fee. Include
any other documents you can, except for those that must come directly from an institution
- Ask the applicable institutions and individuals to complete and send the relevant
documents directly to us. For example, your post-secondary institutions must send
us your official university transcripts and your character references must send
us the Confidential Character Reference Forms. If these documents arrive at the
Branch before your application, we will keep them and add them to your file when
we receive your application.
- Once we receive your application form and application fee, we will create a file
for you and place it in a queue based on the date we received it. If you have included
your email address on the application form, we will email you within five to seven
business days to confirm that we have received your application and tell you your
- Documents will arrive for your file at different times from different sources. We
will add each document to your file as it arrives (as long as it is properly identified
with your full name).
- Please be patient as we review all files according to the date we receive them.
Once an evaluator has reviewed your file, we will send you a letter listing any
documents we are missing.
- If you are eligible, we will send you a Letter of Eligibility telling you the annual
fee amount we need to issue your certificate.
How to find out the status of your application
We cannot tell you what documents are missing from your application until you receive
a letter that will list these items for you. You may contact us to ask whether or
not we have received specific documents. We will respond to you within one to two
- Email us at email@example.com.
Please quote your file number in the subject line.
- Phone us at 604 660-6060 or toll-free within Canada and the United States at 1 800
Our policy regarding your documents
All documents you send us as part of your application become the property of the
Teacher Regulation Branch. We will not return any documents to you and we will not
send any of your documents to other individuals or organizations.
Your non-refundable application fee is valid for a two-year period. However, some
documents expire after a certain amount of time, and we may ask you to send us updated
documents (such as a new application form) if we have not received any documentation
or communication from you in over one year.