Overview of the Application Process for an Independent School Teacher Certificate

The information in this section applies to you if you have not completed a teacher education program.

How to apply for an Independent School Teaching Certificate through the Teacher Regulation Branch

  1. Download and review the Application Package for an Independent School Teaching Certificate. This package includes:
    • information about the Ministry of Education and the application process
    • the application form (called the Application for an Independent School Teaching Certificate)
    • the Consent to a Criminal Record Check form
    • two Confidential Character Reference forms
    • a list of all the documents we need as part of your application (these are described in full in the application information section)
    • a list of the fees you must pay
    • a copy of The Standards for the Education, Competence and Professional Conduct of Educators in British Columbia.

  2. Print and complete the application form and the Consent to a Criminal Record Check form, which are included within the Application Package. Mail us these two forms and the application fee. Include any other documents you can, except for those that must come directly from an institution or individual.

  3. Ask the applicable institutions and individuals to complete and send the relevant documents directly to us. For example, your post-secondary institutions must send us your official university transcripts and your character references must send us the Confidential Character Reference Forms. If these documents arrive at the Branch before your application, we will keep them and add them to your file when we receive your application.

  4. Once we receive your application form and application fee, we will create a file for you and place it in a queue based on the date we received it. If you have included your email address on the application form, we will email you within five to seven business days to confirm that we have received your application and tell you your file number.

  5. Documents will arrive for your file at different times from different sources. We will add each document to your file as it arrives (as long as it is properly identified with your full name).

  6. Please be patient as we review all files according to the date we receive them. Once an evaluator has reviewed your file, we will send you a letter listing any documents we are missing.

  7. If you are eligible, we will send you a Letter of Eligibility telling you the annual fee amount we need to issue your certificate.

How to find out the status of your application

We cannot tell you what documents are missing from your application until you receive a letter that will list these items for you. You may contact us to ask whether or not we have received specific documents. We will respond to you within one to two business days.

  • Email us at trb.certification@gov.bc.ca. Please quote your file number in the subject line.
  • Phone us at 604 660-6060 or toll-free within Canada and the United States at 1 800 555-3684.

Our policy regarding your documents

All documents you send us as part of your application become the property of the Teacher Regulation Branch. We will not release the original documents or return any documents to you. We do not send documents to employers. In exceptional circumstances, we will forward verified copies of diplomas and transcripts to a limited range of educational bodies. You can find more information on the "Forwarding Documents to a Third Party Request Form" on the Forms and Publications page.

The application fee is non-refundable and you must complete your application within one year. If you do not complete your application within one year, you will be asked to submit a new application and fee with updated documents and information.

Download the applications and forms for certification: