Application Documents

This section describes the documents that we require as part of your application and tells you how to complete and submit them. You will notice that some of the documents need to be notarized. A notarized copy is a photocopy of a document on which a notary public or lawyer writes that the document is "a true copy of the original,” signs the copy, and includes an official stamp or seal. Anyone who holds current, valid certification with the BC Ministry of Education can also verify your documents. On the photocopy, he or she must include his or her full name, certificate number and signature.

Application for First Nations Language Teacher’s Certificate of Qualification

You must complete all sections of the First Nations Language Teacher’s Certificate application form, available in the Applicants' Area. We will only accept this form if you answer all of the Personal Information questions and if you sign and date the Declaration of Professional Commitment.

Consent to a Criminal Record Check

Consent to a Criminal Record Check is included in the application form. We will forward your information to the Criminal Records Review Program of the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General and, in turn, they will return the results directly to us. Once you become certified, you will need to undergo a criminal record check every five years.

Having a criminal record does not automatically make you ineligible for a certificate. However, you may be ineligible for a certificate if you make false statements or if you do not tell us about a criminal record. If necessary, we may ask you to complete an additional criminal record check so we can review all the details related to your offence.

Criminal record check results are confidential. We cannot accept previous criminal record checks you have completed, and we cannot provide you with a copy of the results of this criminal record check.

Language Authority Form

You need to fill in the first part of the First Nations Language Teacher’s Certificate – Language Authority Form and then give it to your language authority to complete.

Identification documents

We require legal identification for all names appearing on the documents you submit as part of your application. We will only use your legal name on your certificate. We will not issue you a certificate that includes names for which official documentation does not exist. You can email your identification documents to us at

We require one of the following as a primary identification document:

  • Birth certificate
  • Indian status certificate

We require the following if it applies to you:

  • Marriage certificate: If you changed your surname as a result of marriage, you must include a notarized copy of your marriage certificate.
  • Divorce certificate: If you are divorced and cannot provide a marriage certificate as proof of a current or previous surname, you must send us a notarized copy of the divorce certificate.
  • Change of name certificate: If you changed your name for reasons other than marriage or divorce, you must send us a notarized copy of an official change of name certificate.

Confidential Character Reference for Authorization to Teach in British Columbia forms

Your application must include two character reference forms. You will need to complete and submit page 1 of the form. You will also need to ask two people acting as your references (your referees) who have known you for at least two years to complete page 2 and submit the forms directly to us. Your referees do not need to have observed you in any teaching capacity. However, we will not accept forms completed by referees that are too closely related to you, such as relatives, partners, spouses or equivalents. We do not accept letters of recommendation as a substitute for the character reference form. Your referees can email the forms to us at

Application fee

You must include a non-refundable application fee of $245 with your application. We will not evaluate your application or assign you a file number until you have paid the application fee. Read more about the fee and the payment process.

Download the applications and forms for certification:

There are currently no related links.