Overview of the Application Process for an Independent School Teaching Certificate
The information in this section applies to you if you are applying for an Independent
School Teaching Certificate
How to apply for a Ministry of Education teaching certificate through the Teacher
- Create an account in the Applicants' Area. You will then receive an email with instructions
on how to activate your account.
- Follow the instructions on how to activate your account, and then log into the Applicants'
- After you have entered the Applicants' Area,
download the Independent School Teaching Certificate (ISTC) application form provided
in the menu.
- Complete the ISTC application form. Make sure to list all your academic credentials
and all post-secondary institutions you have attended in the Academic Qualifications
section. This will avoid delays later in the process. Be sure to consent to a criminal
- Upload your completed ISTC application form in the area provided in the Applicants'
Area. If any information is missing, you will be prompted to complete or correct
the information on the form. When the form is complete, you can submit your application
and pay the application fee through the Applicants' Area.
- Review the Application Documents that
will need to be provided as part of your application. Ask the applicable institutions
and individuals to complete and send the relevant documents directly to us. For
example, all your post-secondary institutions must send us your official university
transcripts, and your character references must send us the Confidential Character
Reference Forms. If these documents arrive at the Teacher Regulation Branch before
your application, we will keep them and add them to your file when we receive your
- Wait for an email from us, which will arrive within five to seven business days
after we receive your application. We will create a file for you and place it in
a queue based on the date we received it. The email confirms that we have received
your application and will give you a file number.
- Note that documents will arrive for your file at different times from different
sources. We will add each document to your file as it arrives (as long as it is
properly identified with your full name).
- Please be patient as we review all files according to the date we receive them.
Once an evaluator has reviewed your file, we will send you an email indicating any
missing documents. At this point, you will be able to track in the Applicants' Area
which documents are outstanding.
How long will the application process take?
Once we have received all of the necessary documents for your application, it generally
takes us two to four weeks to review your application.
What are the possible outcomes of our evaluation?
Your application may result in qualifying you for a
Independent School Teaching Certificates. If you are eligible for
a certificate, we will email you and direct you to the Applicants' Area to pay the
annual practice fee.
Alternatively, you may be ineligible for certification. This means that you currently
do not qualify for an Independent School Teaching Certificates. Our evaluation letter
will tell you the specific requirements you must meet to qualify for a certificate.
How to find out the status of your application
Once your file has been evaluated, we will send you an email with further information.
We cannot tell you what documents are missing from your application until you receive
this email. You can then enter the Applicants' Area to track your status and check
which documents are outstanding.
Tips about the Application Process
- Make sure all of the documents you submit are complete and clear.
- Contact the institutions and individuals that need to send documents directly to
us as soon as possible. This is the most time-consuming part of the application
- Do not attempt to take courses before you receive your results. We will not know
what courses you may need to take until we have completed the evaluation.
- Ensure that your transcripts are up to date and show that credit has been granted
for all completed coursework
- Please be patient and prepared for the unexpected. Sometimes documents fail to arrive
or more information is needed.
Keep your BC certificate valid
Once you receive your BC teaching certificate, it is important to pay your annual
practice fee and keep your certificate valid, even if you are not teaching in BC.
The annual fee is due by May 31 each year. If you do not pay this fee, your certificate
will be cancelled for non-payment of fees and you will need to reapply. We will
complete a new evaluation based on the requirements at that time.
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA) and the Teachers
The information we collect as part of the application is in compliance with FOIPPA.
The Teachers Act authorizes our collection of the personal information we request.
Please contact our office if you have questions about the information we request.