Overview of the Application Process for an Independent School Teacher Certificate
The information in this section applies to you if you have not completed a teacher education program.
How to apply for an Independent School Teaching Certificate through the Teacher Regulation Branch
- Download and review the
Application Package for an Independent School Teaching Certificate.
This package includes:
- information about the Ministry of Education and the application process
- the application form (called the Application for an Independent School Teaching Certificate)
- the Consent to a Criminal Record Check form
- two Confidential Character Reference forms
- a list of all the documents we need as part of your application (these are described
in full in the application information
- a list of the fees you must pay
- a copy of The Standards for the Education, Competence and Professional Conduct
of Educators in British Columbia.
- Print and complete the application form and the Consent to a Criminal Record Check
form, which are included within the
Application Package. Mail us these two forms and the application fee. Include
any other documents you can, except for those that must come directly from an institution
- Ask the applicable institutions and individuals to complete and send the relevant
documents directly to us. For example, your post-secondary institutions must send
us your official university transcripts and your character references must send
us the Confidential Character Reference Forms. If these documents arrive at the Branch
before your application, we will keep them and add them to your file when we receive
- Once we receive your application form and application fee, we will create a file
for you and place it in a queue based on the date we received it. If you have included
your email address on the application form, we will email you within three
days to confirm that we have received your application and tell you your file number.
- Documents will arrive for your file at different times from different sources. We
will add each document to your file as it arrives (as long as it is properly identified
with your full name).
- Please be patient as we review all files according to the date we receive them.
Once an evaluator has reviewed your file, we will send you a letter (called a T-Cert)
listing any documents we are missing.
- If you
are eligible, we will send you a Letter of Eligibility telling you the annual fee amount
we need to issue your certificate.
How to find out the status of your application
Please do not contact us to ask about the status of your application until we have
sent you your T-Cert notification letter. This letter includes your file
number and a list of any documents that are missing from your application.
contact us by phone or email for updates on whether we have received specific
documents required as part of your application:
- Leave a telephone message stating your name, file
number, phone number and the best time to reach you. We will return your call the
next business day.
- Email us at email@example.com. Please
quote your file number in the subject line. We will reply to your email within three business days.
Our policy regarding your documents
All documents you send us as part of your application become the property of the
Teacher Regulation Branch. We will not return any documents to you and we will not send any of your
documents to other individuals or organizations.
Your non-refundable application fee is valid for a two-year period. However, some
documents expire after a certain amount of time, and we may ask you to send us updated
documents (such as a new application form)
if we have not received any documentation or communication from you in over one