Acceptable Tests of Language Proficiency
You must submit results from a language proficiency test if you completed any part
of your education in a country where the only official language is not English or
We will accept assessment results from the following tests:
- the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT)
- the Test of English as a Foreign Language computer-based test (TOEFL CBT) plus the Test of Spoken English - Professional
- the International English Language Testing System Academic (IELTS Academic)
* The BC Ministry of Education Teacher Regulation Branch TOEFL Institution Code
Please have your results sent to the Teacher Regulation Branch as soon as they are
available so that we can complete the evaluation without delay. We will accept results
from the above tests if you have taken them within the last two years.
You do not need to achieve a minimum score for us to begin the evaluation process.
However, you do need to meet one of the following minimum scores before we can issue
you a certificate:
- TOEFL iBT:a total score of 98 with a minimum of 23 on reading, 23 on listening,
27 on speaking and 25 on writing
- TOEFL CBT and TSE-P: 237 (TOEFL CBT) and 50 (TSE-P)
- IELTS Academic:overall band score of 6.5 with no band below 6 and with a
minimum of 7 on the speaking and writing bands.
If you teach in French or are planning to teach with the Conseil scolaire francophone
de la Colombie- Britannique, you will need to submit proof of your proficiency
We will accept French proficiency results from the following:
- for those employed by the Conseil scolaire francophone, a letter indicating
acceptable proficiency in the French language.
- a minimum score of B1 on the French Teaching Program Competency Test for Prospective
Teachers offered by the Department of Education at UBC.
- a written assessment from the Faculty of French at any Canadian university.