Overview of the Application Process for Graduates of a Canadian Teacher Education
Program Outside of BC
The information in this section applies to you if you are completing or have completed
a teacher education program at a Canadian university outside of BC.
If you have a valid teaching certificate from another Canadian province or territory
and you have worked in the public school system within the last 10 years, you will
probably qualify for a BC teaching certificate. However, before you can teach in
BC, you must apply for a BC Ministry of Education teaching certificate through the
Teacher Regulation Branch and show that you meet the Ministry's standards of
fitness and qualification.
Paths to teacher certification are different from one province to another. This
means that you may need to complete some courses to meet the same requirements as
teachers who completed their education in BC. In most cases, you will still be able
to receive a BC teaching certificate. We would give you a conditional certificate
allowing you to teach for up to five years. During this five-year period, you would
need to complete the required courses. Once you have completed the courses, you
can upgrade to a permanent certificate.
How to apply for a Ministry of Education teaching certificate through the Teacher
- Download and review the
General Application Package. This package includes:
- information about the Ministry of Education and the application process
- the application form (called the Application for Teacher's Certificate of Qualification)
- the Consent to a Criminal Record Check form
- two Confidential Character Reference forms
- a list of all of the documents we need as part of your application (these are described
in full in the application package
- a list of the fees you must pay
- a copy of The Standards for the Education, Competence and Professional Conduct
of Educators in British Columbia.
- Print and complete the application form and the Consent to a Criminal Record Check
form, which are included within the
General Application Package. Mail us these two forms and the application
fee. Include any other documents you can, except those that must come directly from
an institution or individual.
- Ask the applicable institutions and individuals to complete and send the relevant
documents directly to us. For example, your post-secondary institutions must send
us your official university transcripts and your character references must send
us the Confidential Character Reference Forms. If these documents arrive at the
Branch before your application, we will keep them and add them to your file when
we receive your application.
- Once we receive your application form and application fee, we will create a file
for you and place it in a queue based on the date we received it. If you have included
your email address on the application form, we will email you within five to seven
business days to confirm that we have received your application and tell you your
- Documents will arrive for your file at different times from different sources. We
will add each document to your file as it arrives (as long as it is properly identified
with your full name).
- Please be patient as we review all files according to the date we receive them.
Once an evaluator has reviewed your file, we will send you a letter listing any
documents we are missing.
- Once we receive all of the required documents, we will complete the evaluation.
- If you are eligible for a certificate, we will send you a Letter of Eligibility
telling you the amount that you need to pay for your pro-rated annual fee. We will
mail you your certificate once we receive your payment.
- If you are not eligible for a certificate, we will send you an evaluation letter
explaining why you are not eligible and what you need to do to qualify.
- If you are eligible for a certificate, you will also need to apply to the Teacher
Qualification Service (TQS) for your TQS category. Public school boards use this
category as one element in determining your salary level. When we send you your
Ministry of Education teaching certificate, we will also send a copy of your certificate
to the TQS. Please see the TQS website for more
How long will the evaluation process take?
Once we have received all of the necessary documents for your application, it generally
takes us five to seven weeks to review your application and mail you the results.
For this reason, we recommend that you start the application process before you
arrive in BC.
Remember that not all applicants qualify for certification. If you are moving to
BC because you intend to teach here, you will want to receive the results of our
evaluation as soon as possible. If you must meet some additional requirements to
be eligible for a certificate, you will then be able to start on these requirements
How to find out the status of your application
We cannot tell you what documents are missing from your application until you receive
a letter that will list these items for you. You may contact us to ask whether or
not we have received specific documents. We will respond to you within one to two
- Email us at email@example.com.
Please quote your file number in the subject line.
- Phone us at 604 660-6060 or toll-free within Canada and the United States at 1 800
What are the possible outcomes of our evaluation?
There are three possible outcomes of our evaluation. You may be:
- Eligible for certification. This means that you meet all our requirements
and that you qualify for a permanent professional certificate.
- Eligible for certification with requirements. This means that you meet enough
of our requirements to qualify for a temporary conditional certificate. You will
have to complete some additional academic courses to upgrade your temporary conditional
certificate to a permanent professional certificate.
- Ineligible for certification. This means that you currently do not qualify
for a certificate. Our evaluation letter will tell you the specific requirements
you must meet to qualify for a certificate.
Our policy regarding your documents
All documents you send us as part of your application become the property of the
Teacher Regulation Branch. We will not return any documents to you and we will not
send any of your documents to other individuals or organizations.
Your non-refundable evaluation fee is valid for a two-year period. However, some
documents expire after a certain amount of time, and we may ask you to send us updated
documents (such as a new Application for Teacher's Certificate of Qualification)
if we have not received any documentation or communication from you in over one