Overview of the Application Process for Graduates of a BC Teacher Education Program
The information in this section applies to you if you are completing or have completed
a teacher education program at a BC university.
How to apply for a Ministry of Education certificate through the Teacher Regulation
- Download and review the
Application Package for Recent Graduates of a BC Teacher Education Program.
This package includes:
- information about the Ministry of Education and the application process
- the application form (called the Application for Teacher's Certificate of Qualification)
- the Consent to a Criminal Record Check form
- two Confidential Character Reference forms
- a list of all the documents we need as part of your application (these are described
in full in the application information
- a list of the fees you must pay
- a copy of The Standards for the Education, Competence and Professional Conduct
of Educators in British Columbia.
- Print and complete the application form and the Consent to a Criminal Record Check
form, which are included within the
Application Package. Mail us these two forms and the application fee. Include
any other documents you can, except for those that must come directly from an institution
- Ask the applicable institutions and individuals to complete and send the relevant
documents directly to us. For example, your post-secondary institutions must send
us your official university transcripts and your character references must send
us the Confidential Character Reference Forms. If these documents arrive at the
Branch before your application, we will keep them and add them to your file when
we receive your application.
- Once we receive your application form and application fee, we will create a file
for you and place it in a queue based on the date we received it. If you have included
your email address on the application form, we will email you within five to seven
business days to confirm that we have received your application and tell you your
- Documents will arrive for your file at different times from different sources. We
will add each document to your file as it arrives (as long as it is properly identified
with your full name).
- Please be patient as we review all files according to the date we receive them.
Once an evaluator has reviewed your file, we will send you a letter listing any
documents we are missing.
- If you are eligible for a certificate and have already submitted the certificate
fee and pro-rated annual fee, we will issue your certificate. If you are eligible
and have not yet submitted the pro-rated annual fee, we will send you a Letter of
Eligibility telling you the amount we need to issue your certificate.
- You also need to apply to the Teacher Qualification Service (TQS) for your TQS category.
Public school boards use this category as one element in determining your salary
level. When we send you your Ministry of Education teaching certificate, we will
also send a copy of your certificate to the TQS as they will need this as part of
your application to them. Please see the TQS website
for more information.
How long will the application process take?
BC's Faculties of Education and the Teacher Regulation Branch work together
to ensure the quickest possible process for certifying new graduates.
Approximately one month after you complete your program, your university will send
us your complete transcript along with the university's recommendation that
you receive a Ministry of Education teaching certificate.
You can help speed up the process by sending all required documents to us before
your Faculty of Education sends us your transcript and recommendation. If we have
all your required documents and fees, we will issue your certificate as soon as
one week after we receive the transcript and recommendation. However, if your file
is incomplete, we will not be able to issue your certificate until we receive all
of the outstanding documents and fees.
How to find out the status of your application
We cannot tell you what documents are missing from your application until you receive
a letter that will list these items for you. You may contact us to ask whether or
not we have received specific documents. We will respond to you within one to two
- Email us at email@example.com.
Please quote your file number in the subject line.
- Phone us at 604 660-6060 or toll-free within Canada and the United States at 1 800
Our policy regarding your documents
All documents you send us as part of your application become the property of the
Teacher Regulation Branch. We will not release the original documents or return
any documents to you. We do not send documents to employers. In exceptional circumstances,
we will forward verified copies of diplomas and transcripts to a limited range of
educational bodies. You can find more information on the "Forwarding Documents to
a Third Party Request Form" on the
Forms and Publications page.
The application fee is non-refundable and you must complete your application within
one year. If you do not complete your application within one year, you will be asked
to submit a new application and fee with updated documents and information.
University information session
Near the end of your teacher education program, your Faculty of Education will invite
an evaluator from the Teacher Regulation Branch to speak to the graduating education
students about how to apply for a Ministry of Education teaching certificate. It
is important that you attend this information session.