Overview of the Application Process for Graduates of a BC Teacher Education Program
The information in this section applies to you if you are completing or have completed
a teacher education program at a BC university.
How to apply for a Ministry of Education certificate through the Teacher Regulation Branch
- Download and review the
Application Package for Recent Graduates of a BC Teacher Education Program.
This package includes:
- information about the Ministry of Education and the application process
- the application form (called the Application for Teacher's Certificate of Qualification)
- the Consent to a Criminal Record Check form
- two Confidential Character Reference forms
- a list of all the documents we need as part of your application (these are described
in full in the application information
- a list of the fees you must pay
- a copy of The Standards for the Education, Competence and Professional Conduct
of Educators in British Columbia.
- Print and complete the application form and the Consent to a Criminal Record Check
form, which are included within the
Application Package. Mail us these two forms and the application fee. Include
any other documents you can, except for those that must come directly from an institution
- Ask the applicable institutions and individuals to complete and send the relevant
documents directly to us. For example, your post-secondary institutions must send
us your official university transcripts and your character references must send
us the Confidential Character Reference Forms. If these documents arrive at the Branch
before your application, we will keep them and add them to your file when we receive
- Once we receive your application form and application fee, we will create a file
for you and place it in a queue based on the date we received it. If you have included
your email address on the application form, we will email you within two to three
days to confirm that we have received your application and tell you your file number.
- Documents will arrive for your file at different times from different sources. We
will add each document to your file as it arrives (as long as it is properly identified
with your full name).
- Please be patient as we review all files according to the date we receive them.
Once an evaluator has reviewed your file, we will send you a letter
listing any documents we are missing.
- If you are eligible for a certificate and have already submitted the certificate
fee and pro-rated annual fee, we will issue your certificate. If you
are eligible and have not yet submitted the pro-rated annual
fee, we will send you a Letter of Eligibility telling you the amount
we need to issue your certificate.
- You also need to apply to the Teacher Qualification Service (TQS) for your TQS category.
Public school boards use this category
as one element in determining your salary level. When we send you your Ministry of
Education teaching certificate, we will also send a copy of your certificate to the TQS
as they will need this as part of your application to them. Please see the
TQS website for more information.
How long will the application process take?
BC's Faculties of Education and the Teacher Regulation Branch work together to ensure the quickest
possible process for certifying new graduates.
Approximately one month after you complete your program, your university will send
us your complete transcript along with the university's recommendation that
you receive a Ministry of Education teaching certificate.
You can help speed up the process by sending all required documents to us before
your Faculty of Education sends us your transcript and recommendation. If we have
all your required documents and fees, we will issue your certificate as soon as
one week after we receive the transcript and recommendation. However, if your file
is incomplete, we will not be able to issue your certificate until we receive all
of the outstanding documents and fees.
How to find out the status of your application
Please do not contact us to ask about the status of your application until we have
sent you a letter listing any missing documents. This letter includes your file
number and a list of any documents that are missing from your application.
contact us by phone or email for updates on whether we have received specific
documents required as part of your application:
- Leave a telephone message stating your name, file number, phone number and the best time
to reach you. We will return your call the next business day.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please
quote your file number in the subject line. We will reply to your email within two
to three business days.
Our policy regarding your documents
All documents you send us as part of your application become the property of the
Teacher Regulation Branch. We will not return any documents to you and we will not send any of your
documents to other individuals or organizations.
Your non-refundable application fee is valid for a two-year period. However, some
documents expire after a certain amount of time, and we may ask you to send us updated
documents (such as a new Application for Teacher's Certificate of Qualification)
if we have not received any documentation or communication from you in over one
University information session
Near the end of your teacher education program, your Faculty of Education will invite
an evaluator from the Teacher Regulation Branch to speak to the graduating education
students about how to apply for a Ministry of Education teaching certificate. It is important
that you attend this information session.