Overview of the Application Process for Graduates of a BC Teacher Education Program

The information in this section applies to you if you are completing or have completed a teacher education program at a BC university.

How to apply for a Ministry of Education certificate through the Teacher Regulation Branch

  1. Create a login in the Applicants' Area.

  2. Complete and submit your online application through the Applicants' Area, where you can review a checklist of documents required for your application.

  3. Ask the applicable institutions and individuals to complete and send the relevant documents directly to us. For example, your post-secondary institutions must send us your official university transcripts and your character references must send us the Confidential Character Reference Forms. If these documents arrive at the Branch before your application, we will keep them and add them to your file when we receive your application.

  4. Once we receive your application, we will create a file for you and place it in a queue based on the date we received it. We will email you within five to seven business days to confirm that we have received your application and tell you your file number.

  5. Documents will arrive for your file at different times from different sources. We will add each document to your file as it arrives (as long as it is properly identified with your full name).

  6. Please be patient as we review all files according to the date we receive them. Once an evaluator has reviewed your file, we will send you an email listing any documents we are missing. At this point, you will be able to track in the Applicants' Area which documents are outstanding.

  7. If you are eligible, we will email you to let you know and direct you to pay the annual practice fee.

Teacher Qualification Service (TQS)

You also need to apply to the Teacher Qualification Service (TQS) for your TQS category. Public school boards use this category as one element in determining your salary level. When we send you your Ministry of Education teaching certificate, we will also send a copy of your certificate to the TQS as they will need this as part of your application to them. Please see the TQS website for more information.

How long will the application process take?

After you complete your program, your university will send us their recommendation that you receive a Ministry of Education teaching certificate. Some universities will send complete transcripts with their recommendation.

You can help speed up the process by sending all required documents to us before your Faculty of Education sends us your transcript and recommendation. If we have all your required documents, we will evaluate your application as soon as one week after we receive the transcript and recommendation. However, if your file is incomplete, we will not be able to evaluate your application until we receive all of the outstanding documents.

How to find out the status of your application

We cannot tell you what documents are missing from your application until you receive an email that will list these items for you. You may contact us to ask whether or not we have received specific documents. We will respond to you within one to two business days. Once you have received this email, you can track your application status in the Applicants' Area.

  • Email us at trb.certification@gov.bc.ca. Please quote your file number in the subject line.
  • Phone us at 604 660-6060 or toll-free within Canada and the United States at 1 800 555-3684.

Our policy regarding your documents

All documents you send us as part of your application become the property of the Teacher Regulation Branch. We will not release the original documents or return any documents to you. We do not send documents to employers. In exceptional circumstances, we will forward verified copies of diplomas and transcripts to a limited range of educational bodies. You can find more information on the "Forwarding Documents to a Third Party Request Form" on the Forms and Publications page.

The application fee is non-refundable and you must complete your application within one year. If you do not complete your application within one year, you will be asked to submit a new application and fee with updated documents and information.

University information session

Near the end of your teacher education program, your Faculty of Education will invite an evaluator from the Teacher Regulation Branch to speak to the graduating education students about how to apply for a Ministry of Education teaching certificate. It is important that you attend this information session.